Thursday, November 6, 2008

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich


I've never really had much want to read a Janet Evanovich novel. None of my friend's had suggested any of her books, and overall, I just hadn't heard much about her. Of course, I saw this novel in my local supermarket on the bestseller list and I had seen the author's name plenty of times but just never had a reason to want to read anything from her.
A couple weeks ago, as some of you may remember reading, I received a bookcrossing bookbox and one of the books I selected was One for the Money. I figured I'd give Evanovich a try since I've seen her books EVERYWHERE, and I can honestly say I'm glad I did.
One for the Money is the first book in the Stephanie Plum series. Stephanie Plum is a layed off retail buyer who is looking for a job in order to keep from losing her apartment and living on the streets. As suggested by her mother, she asks her cousin Vinny, a bail bondsman, for a job as a bounty hunter. After hearing of a 10,000 dollar reward for the capture of her old flame, Morelli, Stephanie takes on the challenge.
Stephanie Plum is just the kind of character I can rally behind. Evanovich does a great job giving the reader a female protagonist that readers can relate with and ultimately root for. I found myself several times while reading the novel actually wishing that I could go on these excursions with Stephanie. She's just the kind of gal I would befriend, and that's what makes her so endearing. She's tough, and she doesn't take any crap. While she definitely makes tons of beginners mistakes, she keeps going.
I've told myself over the last few months that I'm going to try to stop reading so many book series. I'm not sure what it is lately that has drawn me to them, but I just can't stop. I guess I can put Janet Evanovich's Plum series on my list as well.

0 comments:

 
Book and Cranny - Templates Novo Blogger