Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm ready for my book to arrive.


I've always been a sucker for a good young adult read. I've plowed through the Princess Diaries series, Twilight series, Harry Potter series etc. Sure, character development is usually lacking, but I usually just read these books because they're fun. The stories are entertaining and yes, I do sometimes roll my eyes at some of the dialogue (especially in the Twilight series) but I can't stop reading them. After reading a novel like The Memory Keeper's Daughter or Atonement (which were both really good in my opinion), it's nice to open up a YA book and just morph (for the time being) into my teenage self.
I stumbled upon the first book in the Pretty Little Liars series, also titled "Pretty Little Liars", at a garage sale. I read the back cover and figured since it was only a few cents I had nothing to lose. Let me just say, I read the book in a day and a half and I was captivated by it. So much scandal, so much mystery. So much....dirt.
In a nutshell, it's a story about 5 best friends. The ring leader, Ali, disappears mysteriously when the girls are in 8th grade. Three years later, the remaining four girls lead seperate lives, not really having much to do with each other until they start receiving mysterious text messages and emails from someone called "A." You spend the whole novel trying to figure out if this is really Ali, if she's still alive and following her friends around taunting them via text or if it's someone else. If it is someone other than Ali then who is it?
After reading this book, I couldn't wait to read the second in the series called "Flawless." Since I live in "no-where-town" and there is no where to shop for books other than my local Wal-Mart hell, I decided to buy it on half.com. The seller marked the book as shipped yesterday so I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I can't wait.
Anyone who enjoys YA fiction should definitely pick up Pretty Little Liars! It's like the teen version of Desperate Housewives. You have to try it!

0 comments:

 
Book and Cranny - Templates Novo Blogger